Strictly speaking today was not a black bin day. The bank holiday means that the bins get collected tomorrow. But the hospital didn't take account of that so I had to get my treatment anyway.
Well it's half-term at the moment. Christopher is off at cub camp at the moment (he went off yesterday). But Matthew is at home. So I agreed with Sam that I should go in on my own today.
Got in early enough this morning to see the doctor. The waiting room was a lot busier than last time when I arrived. I thought it was going to be quick for my weigh in, but I waited 20 mins to just before my doctor's appointment time. In and out quickly 76.9kg today - clearly I got properly fed by Brenda last weekend.
After that I found that Dr Davies is on holiday today, I'm seeing Professor Johnson today instead. Had to wait a bit to see him, about half hour. He was very friendly, it was mainly a cosy chat. He checked on how I was feeling - checked my lumps. He made light a bit about my condition like I'm not really ill, the chemo is a fairly mild dose and it's not surprising I don't feel sick. I'm quite happy with this, as you will know, as I don't see myself as ill. I also asked the cheese question, he confirmed that it really is about un-pasteurised milk and not to worry about Parmesan. He said that the biggest danger to me at this time of year is BBQ food. I also mentioned about indigestion last week, he was okay that I took some tablets which Sam was a bit dubious about.
Went back to hospital this afternoon for the treatment. A bit of a delay (20 mins) before they were ready. It seems that all the chairs were full today, last time there were a few empty. I conjectured with the nurse (Dhina today) that it was because of the bank holiday (5 days treatment in 4days). She seemed to think they had more patients generally and might have to start seesions on Saturdays. But otherwise the treatment went quite well I didn't feel bad at all. It's all a bit routine.
Had some confusion on my prescription. I was expecting more anti-gout but it wasn't included. Tried to get the doctor to confirm but he didn't get a message through. Finally the pharmacist said that it's only normally given on the first chemo cycle. Fine by me, that's 4 drugs I need to take at home now.
After getting home I was still pretty bright and breezy. I did some gardening to chop back some wild bushes in the garden. We are currently having a gardener chop out a lot of the plants and bushed so that we can turf it over. But he only comes sporadically and the whole lot is getting pretty wild.
Best of all today is that I decided to get away from the hair falling out and I'm going to get it shaved off completely. I also decided to get everybody at work to sponsor me. I thought I might get £50-£100 at £1 each. I was very worried about sending an email to the whole site, I just popped it off before I went to hospital. Most of them don't know me, or even about my disease - they all do now. When I got back from the hospital I was even more nervous about the response - almost expecting silence. But it was amazing, about 30 replies and £140 pledged. I think I can drum up some more support and get to £250 next week. I also found out that NXP will match whatever I raise, so it could be £500. I have chosen to support the campaign from the local radio station to build a music room in the teenage cancer centre at Southampton Hospital:
http://www.wave105.com/Article.asp?id=1309536
If you want to contribute too you I have now created a justgiving page:
http://www.justgiving.com/johnleary_headshave
This will allow me to keep track of anything you give. I previously said to use the one from wave105, but I now found that I can do it myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment