Thursday, 28 May 2009

The cheese question

Today should be a significant milestone. It is officially the last day of my first cycle of chemo. Each cycle is 28 days starting from the first dose of drugs and includes 2 doses plus the recovery time afterwards. So now I've only got 2 or possibly 3 cycles to go, starting tomorrow. But, looking another way, tomorrow will be 3rd of possibly 6 doses, making half of them. That said the experience so far is that it's not so much the actual session as the days after that are hard.

I forgot to mention at the weekend about the cheese question. The only dietary restriction I have been given so far is that I shouldn't eat soft cheese. I think this means cheese from un-pasteurised milk. I only realised in the last few weeks that Parmesan is made from un-pasteurised milk and it's pretty impossible to find pasteurised. You can't get any cheese harder than that and what can I put on my pasta? So the quandary at the weekend came when Brenda offered me the cheese plate with Parmesan and pasteurised soft cheese. I took advice from my trusted medical adviser (Dr Lynda) who expected the requirement would be to avoid un-pasturised cheese. So I ate the soft cheese. Mind you I did have pasta for dinner tonight.

No comments: