Well a bit of a mixed up day today. quite a lot happening, but all went well.
We got to the hospital about 10 for 10:30 appointment. The waiting room was noticeably less crowded than before. Having booked in they gave me a list of chemo appointments that are now on Monday, except today's which is at 2:30. I didn't spot straightaway either that they were also at weekly intervals instead of fortnightly. On top of that they added some extra appointments marked as xio - not sure what these are. Need to check when I see Doctor Davies.
They checked my weight 75.5kg - a bit down on last time, although I have been eating properly. Probably not enough alcohol, I expect that to be rectified next weekend when we stay with the Pozzonis.
Got in to see Dr Davies promptly. Had a good chat about how I'd got on since last time. He hadn't been aware of the allergic reaction, but he did find the notes on the computer. He said it was rare to see that sort of reaction and typically in women under 30 (don't know what to make of that - I already know I'm too old to have this disease and now...). But he's now prescribed me some new anti-sickness - Dom Pérignon I think he said. Didn't think you could get that on presciption, but sounds good, must be a perk of bring a private patient. Otherwise he poked me around a bit and he couldn't find the lumps under my armpits. Very pleased with my progress.
We discussed the new appointments. He didn't know what xio was either, but certainly the weekly chemo was wrong. He explained that the Monday appointments were because they changed the system. Before everybody came in, had a blood test, saw the doctor, waited for blood results - then the chemo was made up by the pharmacy and then was given. The problem was that the pharmacy got a rush of orders and then the chemo suite was busy until quite late because people went in when the drugs were ready. The new system is that people see the doctor and have blood tests one day. They then come back next day for the chemo at a fixed appointment time. Clearly I can't come back on Monday as it doesn't fit with bin collection days. Monday is food waste collection day and it's the same every week - I wouldn't know what to do. So we agreed that I could continue with doing a blood test on Thursday, then see him and have chemo both on the Friday.
We decided to go back home after seeing Dr Davies. We could then get back for lunch. I also decided that my hair is getting too long waiting for it to fall out, so I went to the barbers. I went in C.Ford to "The Men's Room", not been there before. The hairdresser commented that it was already a bit short. I said I was doing chemo, she said she had just finished. More chat and it turns out she had Hodgkins as well! How amazing! Probably the only other case in C.Ford. She was also treated by Dr Davies at SGH. Needless to say we spent the whole time discussing our experiences. She is so excited to have finished treatment and to be clear of the disease, but just a bit worried about her first checkup on Monday.
Went back to the hospital. Picked up the new prescription. The Dom Pérignon comes in a blister pack of 12 white tablets. And it's called ahh... Domperidone. Must have misheard, I knew it was too good to be true.
Had the chemo. This was quite good. Felt better than last time. My arm wasn't quite so cold where it went in. It did seem to take a bit longer than before, at one point the nurse checked and it looks like to drip was running a bit slowly. She turned it up and it finished after about 2 hours. It was a bit late, 4:15, but we didn't have to worry about the boys, they had a film night after school tonight and are also being picked up anyway. I got the updated appointments during the chemo, now all on (black) Friday's, but I still have the xio appointments - the secretary doesn't know what they are either but I shouldn't need to go for them (anybody got any suggestions? please add comments). I drove home after the session myself - I was fine. So next time I can probably just take myself and leave Sam at home if she likes.
Getting home and having dinner I can feel my tongue is a bit tingly. I hope it's not another allergic reaction. Still, I think we're ready for it this time. I can also feel a bit of throbbing in my armpit - good sign that things are happening.
A bit of discussion with Sam later about why we haven't had much alcohol lately. She claims to have been advised by her mother-in-law. I pointed out that alcohol was actually encouraged by the medics as relaxation and placed no special restrictions. A later call with my mum confirmed she had, at least, advised moderation. Not sure I completely agree.
Apologies if you think today's is a bit long and lots of waffle today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment