Friday, 28 August 2009

Breakdown day

Well things have been going quite smoothly at the oncology centre up to now. No holdups since the first day breakdown.

I should have been suspicious when I checked in and the machine quoted an unheard of 40 minute delay. But I just settled down to wait. It was probably only about 20-25mins when I got called in. After the usual pleasantries - I complained when they asked my birthday that they should know it by now. The sock inspection revealed that I have got to the desperate stage of wearing my Christmas reindeer socks.

Quickly lined up on the bed and I lay still. I got a blast from underneath. The head moved round to the top and I waited for it to shoot again, but it was all quiet, I just lay still waiting. After a couple of minutes Richard came in and gave it a poke, but it still didn't start up. So I had to get out while they called the engineer, who said it was at least 1/2 hour wait, it seems the earlier delay was due to problems too. But then Richard said, since I was halfway through my treatment they'd try to put me on another machine. So I went round the corner to the "B" machine. Pretty similar but the picture on the ceiling has more leaves falling off the trees. But I got zapped and all was fine, just a bit late.

Let's hope the machine holds out for one last dose on Tuesday. I think my armpit is feeling a bit more sore, but I'm coping.

No comments: